Monday, May 23, 2011

Part 2: Fish Cakes

I used my moms tried and tested fish cake recipe for the first time. It was right up my alley as it was a one bowl recipe. My favourite kind. I love recipes that require you to throw everything into one bowl, mix and waalaah!!!

You start by throwing the following ingredients into a dish.

1 tin Middlecut fish cleaned and deboned(you can substitute this for hake or any fish of your choice)

1 medium onion grated

2 medium potatoes boiled and mashed

Handful of chopped Coriander (I use extra cos I love coriander)

2 tsp crushed chilli

Nice big pinch of salt



















Combine using your hands so that all the ingredients are evenly mixed.

Form into the shape of fish cakes.

Dip in egg and then in breadcrumbs.

So here's where I decided to get little adventurous and I made my own breadcrumbs.

I popped about 3 slices of Albany Low Gi Seed bread into my blender and pulsed until they looked like crumbs. I then added some dry mixed herbs, a pinch or salt and a wee bit of thyme.

Easy peasy :)




















Just before serving I popped my fish cakes into the oven at 180°C for about 7-10min on each side. I then removed then from the oven and shallow fried them for about 1min on each side. This was just to get them to turn that lovely golden brown colour.

End result

No comments:

Post a Comment